top of page




Navigating the Industry Public Entertainment Facilities Act in Texas: A Real-World Example

Updated: Feb 28, 2023

By Sholdon Daniels

Call 1-844-SHOLDON for legal help.

I recently had the pleasure of counseling a client in Dallas regarding the Industry Public Entertainment Facilities Act (IPEFA), which is designed to regulate certain public entertainment facilities in Texas. My client was a bar and restaurant owner who was planning on hosting live music events on the weekends, and wanted to make sure they were in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

I explained to my client that the IPEFA requires that public entertainment facilities that serve alcohol and have a capacity of more than 400 people obtain a permit from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. This permit is required to ensure that these facilities are in compliance with safety regulations, such as having adequate exits, fire extinguishers, and other safety measures.

My client was surprised to learn that their establishment fell under the IPEFA and that they needed to obtain a permit from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. They were worried about the process of obtaining the permit and whether it would be a time-consuming and expensive endeavor.

I reassured my client that obtaining the permit was a straightforward process and that I would be there to guide them through the process. We went over the necessary documentation and made sure that their establishment was in compliance with all applicable safety regulations.

Once my client obtained the permit, they were able to host live music events at their bar and restaurant with peace of mind, knowing that they were operating in compliance with state regulations. They were also grateful for the peace of mind that came with knowing that their establishment was safe for both patrons and employees.

As an entertainment lawyer, it's my job to help clients navigate the legal intricacies of the entertainment industry in Texas. Whether it's obtaining permits, ensuring compliance, or defending against legal action, I'm here to help. If you're an entertainment business owner in Texas and have questions about the IPEFA or other legal requirements, don't hesitate to reach out to me for guidance and support.

Call 1-844-SHOLDON to learn more about how I can help your business.

19 views0 comments


bottom of page